Data Systems DevOps Engineer
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Infrared Processing and Analysis Center (IPAC) at Caltech is seeking a Data Systems Dev/Ops Engineer to work with multiple astronomy projects in the assessment, development, and deployment of technology supporting operation of the science data processing and archiving systems.
IPAC provides science and data management for astronomy missions, planning for future projects, and vital science archives. IPAC supports NASA, NSF and privately funded projects, including: Spitzer, WISE, NEOWISE, the Zwicky Transient Facility, and the US centers for Planck, Herschel and Euclid. IPAC is developing science user tools for the LSST project and is planning for WFIRST science center activities. IPAC operates the NASA/IPAC Infrared Science Archive (IRSA), the NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED), the NASA Exoplanet Archive, and the Keck Observatory Archive.
The successful candidate will help design, develop and operate IRSA’s compute and network infrastructure, employing both cloud and local data center technologies according to project needs. These activities involve large petabyte-scale image storage and processing, multi-billion row databases, and web services. You will help guide and direct the implementation and operation of data center systems used by IRSA’s online astronomy archives and data services. You will follow the complete technology lifecycle from project proposal and requirements through operations, participating in the creation, deployment, and oversight and evolution of these systems and services.
The successful candidate will have a passion for creating systems that address these challenges while balancing science, technology, and business requirements. The candidate will have strong insight into data center operations and system administration skills, and can communicate effectively with the data center and sysadmin teams. The ability to interpret project needs into clean, efficient and reliable solutions is crucial, as is the ability to balance the demands of a dynamic working environment with multiple overlapping projects utilizing shared technology and infrastructure.
– Develop detailed system designs, in collaboration with the IPAC Systems Engineering Team, that meet strategic and functional needs of the project
– Analyze the processing, networking and storage systems and formulate solutions to challenges involving performance, capacity, and/or budget
– Collaborate with IRSA project management on requirements and schedules for development and delivery
– Coordinate with other IPAC projects that share technologies and resources with IRSA
– Research and identify the appropriate technology and approach for new project proposals, and assist in preparing cost estimates for system deployment and operations
– Identify opportunities for application of cloud technologies, oversee migration of selected functions to the cloud
– Monitor overall health and maintenance status of project computing infrastructure, assist in planning upgrades and expansions
– Perform other tasks as assigned.
– B.S. degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
– Experience with software development in a Unix environment
– Experience with Unix systems and network administration
– Familiarity with C/C++ software development and comfortable with common Unix scripting languages (e.g. shell, Perl, or Python)
– Familiarity with data center hardware specification and operations
– Strong verbal and written communication skills, and ability to work well with other members of a small team
– The selected candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation to be hired for this position
– M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
– Expertise in large dataset processing and analysis techniques
– Experience with large installation systems engineering and administration
– Experience with high-performance scientific computing and networking
– Familiarity with cloud data services and distributed computing technologies
– Cover Letter
If you are interested in applying, please do so using the following link: