SWS Scientific Capabilities
General Interest in this Wavelength Region
- Cool sources (T=80-1500 K) radiate bulk of their energy here.
- Many atomic, ionic, molecular, & solid-state spectral features.
- Physical & chemical processes in dust-embedded (optically obscured) regions.
- Emission lines in normal galaxies to Virgo cluster (10 Mpc), and high-z AGN/SBG's.
- Ground-state H_2 in the Galactic ISM.
- At least 10^5 objects are within the grasp of SWS.
SWS Consortium Central Program Highlights (440 hr)